Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

A Very Happy Day to all you mothers out there.

I spent a long time in bed this morning, waiting for the breakfast in bed I knew was coming. I'd already been quizzed the night before about what I wanted for breakfast in bed, and I was tickled about the idea of it.

I'll be fair and say my darling husband came in at one point (while I was still sleeping) and asked me if I was ready for it, and I said, "No."

Then, a little while later, I was awake. So, I waited.

And waited.

I read.

And read. (I'm not complaining. Lying in bed and reading is an incredible luxury!)

Finally, the door opened and Aaron came in with Sophie who was hungry and ready for her morning nap. So, I fed her, and after she went to sleep I got up.

And ate breakfast at the kitchen counter. (Aaron made me a smoothie.)

I realized I should have communicated that I was awake and ready for breakfast in bed, but somehow the very act of communicating seemed to conflict with the purpose of breakfast in bed, which is to stay in bed and feel all relaxed and excited when they bring the breakfast in to you.

When I came out of the room, however, I was delighted to find that there were various presents waiting for me.

Gabe gave me a card with a drawings: one of him and me snuggling on the sofa; another of me playing the piano. I was touched. These are two of my favorite things in the world to do and I thought it was awfully sensitive of him to draw those two particular things. What a nice boy!

Olivia also gave me a hand-drawn card, complete with flowers and labelled diagrams. But Olivia's big present for me was that she wanted to paint my nails. She pulled out all the nail polish colors. I chose purple, because I thought it was just mildly-purple, practically-clear varnish. (I'm not too into painted fingernails - I wash too many dishes for that!) Well, the color I chose turned out to be bright, thick purple, and after my darling Olivia had finished slathering it on my fingernails, it also proved to have a lot of texture. I will have very purple, textured fingernails for the next few days because I discovered this evening that my nail polish remover pads dried up when I wasn't looking.

Anna gave me lots of songs and dances for mother's day. She kept saying, "Happy mother's day! You're my best mommy in the whole world!", wrapping her arms wildly around my neck, and giving me large, wet-lipped kisses.

Sophie took a long morning nap -- such a thoughtful baby! I was hoping she would learn to crawl for my mother's day present, but she just lay on her stomach, flapped her arms and legs, and squalled. She did let me kiss those wonderful, chubby cheeks of hers, which is about the most delicious activity in the world.

So, all in all, it was a very satisfying Mother's Day. How was yours?

1 comment:

  1. Great! My kids all slept in so I had more writing time. They then took me out for brunch. And for the past three weeks, they've been busy drawing and stock piling pictures under their beds for today. What more could a mother want?

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...