Monday, March 22, 2010

Only in China: Weather


What's cooking? Someone actually said they missed this "What's Cooking?" bit at the beginning of my posts! Whoda thunk? So, without further ado, tonight we will hopefully be feasting on pot roast from the crock pot. My husband has conferences until late and I have ballet this evening, so I wanted to do something I could fix this morning that would still be hot tonight when he got home. Brilliant, eh?

I know I've alluded to Tianjin weather in past posts, but I think this link to weather.com pretty much sums up spring in Northeastern China. Notice that "sand" is the forecast for Tuesday. You also MUST read down below for the weatherman's advice on everything from fishing conditions to makeup application.

My mom also sent me this amazing link to a slide show of the sand storms. Yes, the scarf wrapped around the entire head is very common. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life was when a woman with her head encased in a bright red scarf came at me on a bicycle. I almost blew my knee out trying to jump out of the way. And no, it wasn't the fear that the bicycle was going to hit me, it was the fact that there was a floating red head coming at me through the haze.

Do I miss Tianjin today? In many ways, yes.

Do I miss the weather? Um. Let me put it this way: Tianjin is the only city I've ever lived in where I woke up to a rust-orange sky. It was the first year we were in China and was the worst sand storm I witnessed in my eight years living there. I thought someone had transplanted us to Mars overnight.

So no, I miss people, but not the weather.

Today in Prosser is clear blue with a huge pile of laundry on the horizon. Thank you, Lord, for my clothes dryer. Better get going....

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing life experience that must have been. and, fodder for fantastic novels, right?

    thanks for stopping by my blog .. so nice to *virtually* meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great resource your life has been for your writing. :) I came over from Tess Hilmo's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tess and Sharon. Great to *meet* you! Yes, living in China was an amazing experience, but I haven't summoned the courage to write about it yet. Maybe in a few years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those pictures are incredible. I had no idea you could have such a huge sandstorm in the middle of a big city. (Where does all the sand come from?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard the Gobi Desert, but I'm not sure.

    I personally think it's because of the massive deforestation that went on in China during the Great Leap Forward. But that's also just a guess. Many parts of China are pitifully low on trees. :(

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...