Monday, April 12, 2010

Update on a Broken Appendage


Some of you may remember that I broke my toe last Monday.

I was doing better. Although my foot was primarily still blue, I was walking normally. Still unable to wear shoes, but thankfully Spring had arrived and flip-flops were working.

Yesterday, though, I didn't realize my baby was standing behind me. I turned around and tripped over her. Somehow my broken toe tangled in her clothing and was pushed sideways again (the way I suspect I broke it in the first place).

(If you're curious, on the diagram, the smallest phalanges, near the metatarsal-phalangeal joint, is the broken one.)

So now I'm back to square one. Spent yesterday limping. Today it doesn't hurt as badly, but I have to keep moving or it gets numb.

I'm also fitting into pants that were too big for me when I lived in China. I'm blaming it on the fact that I haven't exercised in a week, but am eating the same amount of food as when I was exercising. (Actually, maybe more food than when I was excercising. There's something about sitting around that makes a person hungry!)

I even had to say no to the Oreo cookies on sale at Safeway this morning, because I knew I wouldn't be able to work off the calories. *sob*

So, what's my positive spin here? I should have listened to Sharon when she told me to keep tape on the toe? (Confession: I still don't have tape on the toe because it gets numb when there's tape on it and I hate numb more than pain, believe it or not.) I'm happy that I have more of an excuse to sit endlessly on my butt in front of the computer? Hmm.

Help me out here. Can you find a positive spin for this situation?

5 comments:

  1. I don't know about a positive spin, but I hope you don't injure it again. Mine still hurts because I keep catching it on stuff. I don't like to wear shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the first time was bad enough. I'd vote for just not doing it again, and just be content with that! (I'm thinking that no matter which way you spin it, a broken toe has still got to be painful.)

    Hope you're better soon, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Myrna and Kim,
    Sorry about my whiny post! But thanks for your encouragement. You're right. I'm going to focus on being careful and maybe get back into doing work out videos and quit complaining. It actually doesn't hurt that much. It's just I hate it when I'm sitting there and it goes numb. That drives me crazy. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought of something positive! At least I didn't break my finger!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second the comment on it being better than breaking a finger! :)

    Hope you're up and at it (without getting tangled up IN it soon)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...