Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Have you read this book?

It's completely and utterly horrifying.
But amazing.
The writing is incredible,
the main character unforgettable.

It's about a thirteen-year-old Nepalese girl who is sold by her stepfather into prostitution.
Pass on it if you can't handle heavy subject matter.
But if you handled MOCKINGJAY, I think you're strong enough to handle this.
I guess what's worse about this book is that things like this happen all the time. 
In real life.
This isn't a dystopian. This is now.
In our world. In our time.

Which is disturbing.
But disturbing in a healthy way:
 by ripping off the blinders and forcing you to look at the lives of people in other parts of the world;  
by making you want to reach out and help;
by reminding you to be thankful for the simple blessings we take for granted.

This book is so powerful.
So go ahead.
Take a chance.
Read it.


Thanks to Dawn for recommending this book to me. And thank you to the Grace and Peace Gals, my friends from China (two of them were my downstairs neighbors!), who are headed to Cambodia soon to work with women who are trapped in prostitution. You go girls!

7 comments:

  1. I've seen this at the bookstore, and have been interested. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this one. I will look out for it. Thanks for sharing Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy...I am adding this one to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one. I find it difficult to read books with heavy subject matter, and tend to avoid them, but I also feel they're worthwhile and important in our reading culture. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For you, Amy, I will try this. We'll have to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be afraid, Krista & MT! The author handles the subject very tastefully. It's disturbing, but I wouldn't call it graphic. And it reads like a verse novel, which works for the subject matter.

    Let me know what you think, if you decide to take the plunge. :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy - such a good and important book. Thanks for sharing the word! Love your writing style and commitment to keep plugging on with your book despite the er ... less than linear path life with kids can take.
    Love from the east coast!
    Sara K

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...