Monday, November 8, 2010

Alice Dancing Under the Gallows

Because of Blunt-Brain Syndrome (ie. I'm not accomplishing anything and my brain is fried) I thought I'd do on my blog what every great teacher since the introduction of the moving picture has done when they can't come up with a good lesson plan: SHOW A MOVIE.

I saw this one on Danica's blog the other day and it convicted me. I think it's Alice's boundless optimism. I've been so caught up in how tired I feel and how little the Dashingly Handsome Sidekick (DHS) is home this week (high school football playoffs + parent/teacher conferences = bluggghsplurt).

It could be third-trimester blues, losing-Grandma blues, not-having-DHS-all-to-myself blues, or maybe all of the above that's making me into a large, whiny sandwich who can't fit into any of her clothes.

Then I watched this movie. And really, what in the world do I have to complain about? And why aren't I smiling more and enjoying all the blessings that are poured daily into my lap ... and playing my piano? Why am I letting the size of my laundry pile steal my zest for life?

Hope you enjoy....

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this little movie...I so needed it. Alice is cute as a button. I want to go and sit and listen to her stories and to her playing the piano.
    I loved the line from another survivor about how no one can take away the thoughts in your head...that you could be listening to music in your head and no one would know to take away something beautiful. It just made me smile...God can give us a word or a song that can just lift us up no matter what the situation is. They are living proof!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I didn't watch the whole thing, but she is an amazing woman. Music is definitely a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet, don't feel bad. You can definitely get the gist of it by just watching the beginning. I know it's hard to spare 12 minutes sometimes. Seriously!

    MaDonna, yes, that's true. Amazing.

    Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope is a religion and music is God. What beauty she exudes! I'm forever changed because of it! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I've never heard of that camp, and sometimes I feel like I'll live my whole life without hearing every single story from that time. It fascinates me.

    Thanks for sharing that with us. It reminds me that my problems are truly small. And what a spirit she has! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, thank you for posting this movie. The only Holocaust survivors I had heard speak previous to this were telling stories of the death camps. It is good to know that some were saved because of their music.
    I did notice, though, that Alice never spoke of the husband she must have lost. She found her way past that grief, as well. Strong, beautiful, woman.
    Happy 107, Alice!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...