Why? Here are five reasons I love being a novel-writing-mom on this fabulous Monday afternoon:
(1) When I get a quiet moment or two, I'm focused (usually). Writing's on the agenda. I don't have the luxury to say, "I'll write later today." When the kids are napping, the time is now.
(2) Lots of opportunity for percolation time. Lots of brainless activity goes into keeping a household of seven running: laundry to fold, dishes to wash, vacuuming, and even cleaning that green bathtub every couple years. This is the best time to think through my novels and plan my writing goals for the day.
(3) Writing gives me a creative outlet. I don't have to stare at a screen all day doing "other stuff" or using up my creative energy in my day job. (I know a lot of wonderful moms who use a lot of their creative energy on their kids, but I'm not really that way. I adore my kids, feed them, clothe them, clean them ... and let them play on their own. *grin*)
(4) Though I'm busy, my time is flexible. I'm not required to go on business trips or be in an office for eight hours a day. If I really need to get something done, my kids entertain themselves for awhile.
(5) Living on one salary with five kids and a mortgage makes you poor. *smile* We don't have a lot of extra money to spend on trips or outside entertainment, which means we are at home a lot, which in turn means more time to write. Writing is my #1 form of entertainment.
So, how about you? Anything to add to the list? How does your day job help or hinder your writing goals?
|My sweet bunch!|