Friday, December 14, 2012

Balancing Act

I've said it on my blog many times and I've seen it discussed on other blogs, too, but one of the most difficult parts of pursuing anything worthwhile is finding balance--juggling all the bits that make this YOUR LIFE.

Family
Friends
Studies
Work
Play
Writing
Kids' activities
Writing
Hobbies
Blogging
Laundry
Cleaning bathtubs

It's tough!

I feel like I was doing okay before.

When my daughter started competitive gymnastics this fall, I thought I'd be able to keep all the balls in the air. But I found myself slipping.
Mine is on the right
 The first balls to drop are the online ones, of course. I forget to blog sometimes. And I know I've been terrible at visiting blogs for months now. 

At the same time, I know I don't always use my time effectively. When I'm tired, I sometimes space in front of Facebook or Twitter, which are lovely distractions (and I'm keeping up with friends!) but not very substantive.

All this to say, please bear with me. I'm not giving up the blog. I'm one of those weirdos who really enjoy blogging. But if I disappear for a little while from time to time, you'll know I'm just juggling away over here. I have all these great kids who are growing up and doing amazing things, and that's the ball I have to keep in the air. And I need to find time for writing, too, and occasionally cleaning my bathtub.

I guess I'm just asking for special Christmas grace. This is a learning curve for all of us, as life deepens and stretches us.

I know I've asked it before, but I'll ask it again, because I love good advice: How do you balance everything? 

14 comments:

  1. We totally understand! It's hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Amy .. frankly I don't know how you mothers with children cope - so no worries ... life is life ..

    Have a very happy Christmas with the little ones .. and here's to a happy 2013 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep...I'm definitely in the same space. I guess life will always be like that. But don't worry--we all understand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balancing is not easy. It really is an art form. Don't be too hard on yourself, though. Look at it this way: when you have to pull away, there are more pressing elements of your life that need you - resting included.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're all in the same boat, Amy. Do what you must and let the rest go. Cute gymnasts! And my prayers for a very blessed, joy-filled Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The balls you balance amaze me. I'm the same way, online stuff drops first (I forgot to blog a couple of weeks ago, too!). And I fully intend on taking a Christmas break. Do what you have to do, girl! We love you no matter what. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I'm just juggling away over here" I love this line Amy!
    My trick to my juggling is that something has to give always, and I just try to alternate what it is that gives! Sometimes it's my daily(in my ideal world!) walk, sometimes I ignore house stuff, and so on.
    You're doing a fantastic job, and gymnastic is a great sport for your beautiful daughter to be involved in. My sister used to do it, and she still reminisces about how wonderful it was.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll take what we can get...and what you can give! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I paste this post for MY blog? Please??
    My juggling balls are hitting me in the head repeatedly. I cannot wait for Christmas break...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tibet is without doubt one of the most remarkable places to visit in Asia. It offers fabulous monastery sights, breathtaking high-altitude treks, stunning views of the world’s highest mountains and one of the most likeable peoples you will ever meet.
    Kızlık zarı
    Genital estetik

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't be too hard on yourself, especially with the online stuff. We've all been there, we all understand, and we'll all be right here whenever you find the time. Family comes first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all do it. And this time of year is prefer for taking a blogging break. Most of us will be. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Balance, what's that? haha.

    I am very diligent with my 'mindless' time though. I have my DVR'd shows and those are the only TV I watch. I rarely do things on facebook or twitter unless its writing related :)

    Have a very good Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There will definitely come a time when we get a bit too busy that we can't possibly juggle every ball and do those things on a regular basis but life's fun like that since you get to learn how you could still manage to do all these things.

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...