Friday, May 15, 2009

I Recommend: Callie Cat, Ice Skater

When I saw Callie Cat, Ice Skater at our school library, I thought it would be a cute book for my girls to read. A cat that likes to ice skate. That's fun, right?

When I actually sat down to read Callie Cat, Ice Skater, it went far beyond my expectations. It's not just a cute picture book about ice skating (though the artwork is cute). This book is incredibly insightful, well written, and exactly the kind of book I adore reading to my kids.

Don't get me wrong, not all children's books need morals or lessons. I love Dr. Seuss, for instance. But Callie's journey as a performer, as an artist, as a lover of ice skating, brought tears to my eyes. She learns a valuable lesson, but it's learned through having hope and facing disappointment. It's a lesson a lot of adults, especially myself, can learn from.

I loved the ending:

"She knew that the melting sweetness came from doing what she loved. Came not from winning, but doing. The melting sweetness was the best prize of all. And suddenly she knew the name for it. Its name was joy."

I think we all can relate to Callie in some way. We all have something that we love to do, that gives us that feeling of melting sweetness, whether we're the best in the world at it or not. It's about time we all had a little more joy in our lives....

So, what's your source of melting sweetness?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...