Monday, June 22, 2009

Should Have

Yes, I should have backed them up.

I remember thinking several times before we packed the computer: "I need to back them up."

But the action of backing them up never actually happened.

Which is why I'm sitting here, going on ten days of being back in the United States, not sure if I'll ever see any of the manuscripts I've been working on for the last several years again.

It's been almost a week since Aaron told me the computer guy couldn't switch our computer over to American voltage. Now we're waiting for a converter to arrive. We're still hoping for the best. There's no reason to despair... yet.

But as June fades into July, I wonder why I didn't just back them up. Or email them to myself, at least. Would that have been so hard? It would've taken ten minutes. Ten. Minutes.

All that pales in comparison when I think about all my children's pictures that we won't have if our computer simply won't work. Not to mention that all of Aaron's lesson plans and power points from the last eight years in China are also on that computer.

I'm preparing myself for the worst. I grieved over my fledgling books, for my children's photographs, and for all the hours my husband has poured into his work. I sat at the kitchen table and cried when I first heard our computer wouldn't turn on.

Maybe rewriting them won't be so bad. Some writers do that on purpose: start completely from scratch again and again and again until they get it exactly right. I wasn't planning to do things that way, but I may not have a choice.

Maybe I'll look back on this someday and say it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Maybe.

Or maybe our converter will arrive and I'll be back in Queryland tomorrow. Maybe.

I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

  1. I still cringe every time I think of what happened to your mss. And I think about it often. And you're right. Some of us do rewrite our ms from scratch and it's even better than before. But that's by choice, not by necessity, so it not painful at all.

    I'll keep my fingers cross that everyone's stuff can be saved.

    Stina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. That hurts. I cried for hours just when I thought the CD of Aaron's sonogram was gone. But I've too been procrastinating on backing things up... with a computer that's on its last legs. I think I'll bump that to the top of the to-do list. Thanks. I'll pray for that converter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say this sis but I believe it's never the best thing to live in the "I should have done things differently" phase of things. It's never a healthy mindset first of all. What's happened has happened, and dwelling on things that should have been done in the past does not solve anything. Keep in mind that there is still hope that things will work out in the end. Maybe the power converter will work...we'll see. If that doesn't work then there are other ways of recovering data, believe me I know. Anyways hang in there sis. I'm sorry if this comment sounded harsh and unhelpful. I love you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...