Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Step in the Right Direction

Yesterday afternoon I sat down at the computer and saw a reply from an agent I'd recently queried. I didn't open it right away.

Aaron was nearby in the kitchen.

"Here it is," I said. "Here's that rejection I've been waiting for."

I talk like this. It's ridiculous, really. Maybe it's part of that query funk I get into that has nothing to do with the rest of my personality.

My finger lingered on the mouse without clicking the email open.

"You know what would just be awesome," I said. "You know what would make me just so happy?"

"What?" Aaron asked.

"If this weren't just a form rejection. If it were a little bit personalized. That would be a step in the right direction." I laughed, and then I clicked open the email and read:

Dear Ms. Sonnichsen,

Many thanks for your email regarding your novel UP LANTAU RUNNING, which sounds intriguing. I’d be delighted to read more. Please send me the first five chapters and a complete synopsis as Word document attachments by email. I’ll do my best to respond to your partial within two months.

I look forward to receiving your material.

Now, I'm not saying this is a breakthrough. But it's a first.

Partial requests from agents are like first dates when your goal is to get married. It's not reason enough to start trying on wedding dresses or buying honeymoon plane tickets. But when you've never had a date before, a first date is something special. Something to blog about.

For me, it's a step in the right direction.

4 comments:

  1. Amy! Congratulations! That's fabulous news and definitely a step in the right direction, plus a farther step than I have taken. ;)

    Keep up the good work and I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! And good luck ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That's a big step. One I took about 3 months ago...and now I wait, and wait and wait. At this point I wonder if I should keep querying.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's HUGE, amy! congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...