Wednesday, August 19, 2009

WIP Wednesday: I Think I Thunk It All Out

I haven't written much this week.

But I did spend a lot of time in the car on Sunday to and from Seattle thinking about the novel I'm just starting. And since planning it all out is half the work, I guess I did get something done.

I won't say much about the plan, but I do have some interesting characters in mind.

One is a neighbor boy from a separatist Christian family. A little bit of Romeo and Juliet action going on in this one: boy's mother doesn't want boy to associate with girl ... or anyone outside the family for that matter. I know, the Romeo and Juliet part isn't very original (read: not original at all), but hopefully the separatist Christian boy element makes up for that.

And of course, the girl in question is the previously-mentioned-MC who just moved back to the US after five years in China. Nothing like living next door to a separatist Christian family to add to the culture shock. Or would that be sub-culture shock? *grin*

There are some other threads and other characters, but I'll stop here for this particular WIP Wednesday. Hopefully I'll get some time to actually write some of these thoughts out so I have something substantial to share next week. But with teething babies and kids starting school, time is something I'm slightly short on these days.

Oh well. There's always time to think about everything I want to write about while washing dishes and folding laundry. Writing it down sometimes has to wait.

2 comments:

  1. I take advantage of my 'chore time' as well. I def. think planning is more than half the battle! Your novel sounds like it will be a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say -- the idea, or at least the snippet you've shared with us, sounds very intriguing. I like. :)

    As for time, I'm deathly afraid of my senior year. The amount of classes I'm taking, the homework, the activities -- I wish I could be a mom and just not to do any of the chores for a while... (Just kidding, of course.)

    Wish you the best of luck with your thinking and (hopefully!) writing.

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...