Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Home for the Holidays

You're not going to believe it.

We're moved into our new house, out of my in-law's house, we're hooked up to the internet, we've decorated for Christmas, and right now I'm cooking my first dinner. Here.

After months of saying, "We're moving in next weekend," and then not moving, we have arrived.

Just in time. My parents and brother came in last night. Before they got here, my two sister-in-laws were like small whirlwinds in my kitchen, unpacking boxes of kitchen stuff and stowing it away. My father-in-law moved my living room furniture around and hung my gorgeous, new turquoise picture. I stood around with Sophie on my hip directing everything. Didn't feel like I accomplished much myself. I was too overwhelmed, maybe. Or too tired.

Either way, somehow, miraculously, our house became a house. Our kitchen suddenly became a kitchen, instead of a storeroom for tools. Our living room transformed: ladders gone, plastic covers removed, tags cut, overflowing boxes hidden away.

Today Aaron brought home a six-foot Fraser fir that looks perfect next to our window. We have up white lights and our Christmas ornaments. I hung our Chinese silk stockings over the fireplace.

I'm typing this blog post from my own tiny, brand new net book, which is so excessively cute, I can't stand it. I adore this little thing. It even has a pretty swirly pattern on the cover. It is so small I can almost palm it.

It's starting to feel like home around here.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

2 comments:

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...