Wednesday, February 24, 2010

WIP Wednesday: Focus!


I'm having a tough time focusing this week, and I think I've finally figured out why. I have three projects going at once, and I'm not used to that.

Usually I immerse myself in one imaginary world at a time. But now I'm working on polishing my little gecko story, majorly revising my V-Day novel (before I start on Round 2 of querying), and trying to finish my Back novel's first draft.

It's tough, but I know this is what real writers do all the time. It's part of the business. The only problem is, I don't feel like I'm making any significant headway on any of these projects because my brain just isn't there. So much of writing depends on the quality of percolation time ... the time you spend thinking through plot and character reactions. When I'm standing at the kitchen sink washing dishes, I'm not quite sure which project to think about first, and then my brain wastes a lot of time jumping back and forth between them.

Have you been forced to multi-task like this before? How did you handle it?

6 comments:

  1. I'm still working on my first novel, so I have the luxury of thinking about it all of the time! Butwith myonline writer's workshop and two wonderful beta readers going, it is difficult to keep up with editting. Any ideas I get go in the notebook and wait until I'm stuck somewhere without my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had to do a few things at once (short story, craft, and a long WIP). It's not a fun thing but somehow, and that's the mystery, it all gets finished. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll tell you what's killing me--I'm editing my WIP and have novel #4 pounding on my head. I love the characters and ideas, but I know I need to finish my edits to get it polished, so yeah, I've had lots going at once.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, have never tried to multi-task (although I probably should be right now, since an agent actually requested revisions on the manuscript I've been querying). I've decided to focus on my WIP, and come back to my query project once I get Bob to a beta-ready state.

    So I feel your pain, Amy. If you come up with a solution, you be sure to let us - me - know... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! It's good to know I'm not alone. I guess we will all struggle on ... and just be thankful we don't have writer's block!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...