Monday, April 12, 2010

Mini-post #5: Abandon

I've made the decision to abandon another book on my Fill in the Gaps project list. I'm so embarrassed to admit which one it is, because I *should* enjoy it. The author is celebrated, beloved. It's literary, it's middle-grade, the subject matter is deep and personal.

Still, I wanted to quit on page 64. I had no desire to keep reading.

But I made myself keep reading.

Now I'm on page one-hundred-something. Again, no desire to keep reading.

The book is due on Thursday. I've had it out for two months and have run out of renewals. Maybe it's time to move on.

Besides that, City of Bones arrived for me at my library today. And also The Yiddish Policeman's Union. And also the amazing Annie Dillard's Living By Fiction. I have to move on with my reading life.

Now I'll admit it. The book I'm abandoning is Homecoming by Cynthia Voigt. Don't all throw tomatoes at me at once!

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up!! Imagine the fabulous wonderful books you're missing out on because you're dredging your way through one that you're not enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elise. That's a great way to look at it. I AM excited to read the new line-up! :)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...