Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ambition

Ambition is necessary to accomplishment. Without ambition to gain an end, nothing would be done. Without an ambition to excel others and to surpass one's self there would be no superior merit. To win anything, we must have the ambition to do so.

Ambition is a good servant but a bad master. So long as we control our ambition, it is good, but if there is danger of our being ruled by it, then I would say in the words of Shakespeare, "Cromwell, I charge thee, fling away ambition. By that sin fell the angels."

~Laura Ingalls Wilder,  
These Happy Golden Years

5 comments:

  1. Belated Happy Birthday, Amy! Didn't know till I saw the comments on your last post.
    Ambition is indeed a good servant but a bad master. How many of us have fallen foul of someone "mastered" by ambition who will think nothing of walking over others to achieve their master's dreams?
    But I do agree that without ambition, little would be achieved.
    Good one! Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter and Happy late Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mimi and Esther!

    Yes, I was reading this book with my daughter the other night and this little tidbit stopped me in my tracks. It's so true.

    Have a happy Easter, too!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a great quote and something God is working on in me lately. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's also something to do with curiosity and need as well as ambition... and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...