Tuesday, April 19, 2011

It's Thank Krista V. Day!

I have two reasons to thank my writing buddy, Krista V.

First, because she reviewed this book on her blog, which made me want to read it.

I was a little slow getting into it, and I had my doubts at first, but I stuck to Krista's recommendation and once I got into the story, I liked it a lot.

My favorite parts were the cultural exchanges between the Afghans and the Americans. I know from personal experience how easily cultural differences can get in the way of good communication. Fascinating stuff.

I also loved the theme running through the book that a curse can turn into a blessing. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, but the main character Zulaika learns that the part of herself she hates most-- her cleft lip-- may be one of her greatest assets. At least, her disability gives her the chance to find herself outside the roles and requirements of "normal" Afghan women.

Another reason I want to thank Krista V. is because she gave me the Stylish Blogger Award. Wowzers! This award is way more stylish than I am, but thank you anyway, Krista! I haven't been good about accepting awards lately. I know I was given a few over the past year that I never got around to accepting. (Humblest apologies!) With this one I was determined to get my act together and pass it on. (My baby is three-months-old now so I'm out of excuses!)

I'd like to pass the award on to one very wonderful friend and blogging buddy, Becky from Everyday Becky. After we became blog friends, our daughters became pen pals, and it has been such a blessing to my little Olivia. I get to meet Becky and her family this summer, by the way. I'm so excited!

Here you go, Becky, you stylish blogger you!

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMY!

    Yay for Krista's review. I just bought a book based on Sarah Fine's review. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    I love that your daughter became pen pals with one of your bloggy friends. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked the book, Amy! It was a little slow getting started, but Zulaikha sucked me in. She's so easy to cheer for. (My favorite part was the wedding. I love learning more about other cultures.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!

    Can I say publicly how much I've enjoyed reading Seagull Rising?

    And Krista is amazing, isn't she? I feel so lucky to have wandered into such an amazing group of blogger/writers. I'll have to check out that book.

    I read The Kite Runner (also about Afghanistan) last year, and it was a tough, tough read. Did I mention tough? Heartbreaking would be another word for it. I'll check out this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, first of all, congrats on the award. You are a stylish blogger, for sure.
    I'm now drawn to that book, will seek it out. I started "Bog Child" on your rec, but lost it one day I was out with the band, so I definitely need to visit a bookstore!
    Really enjoyed your comment on my ladybugs! A load of dead ones would put me off them, I hate dead things!
    Cool that you're meeting up with blogger friend in the summer, that's one of the delights of blogging!
    How did your baby get to be 3 months old? Is she cuter than cute? Bet so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need a shower. I'm in a ratty old T-Shirt. Right now I feel anything but stylish, LOL. Thank you for making my day today!

    I'm sorry I missed this earlier. I'm usually a "The Green Bathtub" stalker but I have been offline a lot this week. Thank you so much!

    I'm so excited to get our families together soon. Karissa loves being Olivia's penpal. I hope her latest letter arrived OK, and I hope you had a great birthday. : )

    He is Risen!!!! <><

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...