Monday, September 19, 2011

World's Quickest Interview: Medeia Sharif

A big welcome to Medeia Sharif, author of BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER. (Flux, 2011)!  You probably know how World's Quickest Interviews work. I ask really short (sometimes silly) questions and Medeia gives me really short answers. (Think: an interview on Twitter, but on a blog instead.)
 
Got it? Are you ready? Let's go!
 
 
Describe your book in one sentence.
Fifteen-year-old Almira Abdul is fasting for Ramadan for the first time ever, but the month does not move smoothly at all.

How long have you been writing?
I’ve been writing novels for seventeen years. I started when I was a teenager.

Who or what inspired BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER.?
I wanted to write about a character celebrating the holiday. An idea for a MG novel with a male MC led to a YA novel with a female MC.

How long did it take you to write BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER.?
About 9 months.

Besides writing, what do you like to do most?
Read, of course. :)

What do you think of Justin Bieber? 
I don’t think about him. I'm not hating, but I don’t listen to that type of music.

Tell us three things you'd do on a perfect day.
Nap, read, and watch Netflix.

Dogs or cats?
Cats. I love the little munchkins.

All expenses paid vacation: where would you go? 
The Maldives. They look gorgeous in pictures, like a watery wonderland.

Any advice for aspiring writers?
If one manuscript doesn’t work out, work on another and another. Many published first books are not the writers’ first manuscripts.


Thank you, Medeia! (I love cats, too! And I don't think much about Justin Bieber, either. For the record.) Make sure to congratulate Medeia in the comments. BESTEST. RAMADAN. EVER. is her debut novel and it just released this summer, so while you're thinking about it, run out and pick up a copy. Click >>here<< to visit Medeia's awesome blog.

16 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting, especially since I know virtually nothing about Ramadan (or anything having to do with Muslim culture, really). I'll have to check it out.

    Thanks, Medeia and Amy, for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun interview.
    And the book sounds really interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Medeia's book is fantastic! It gives you some insight into the Muslim culture. After reading it I felt able to ask reasonably intelligent questions to my Muslim neighbors. I'd love to see teen girls reading it and learning about the culture and enjoying the story. WTG, Medeia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these short interviews! And I can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin Bieber? You crack me up! I'm still giggling...
    Great interview and congrats Mideia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to read this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview! I like to tease my son about his Justin Bieber hair, but other than that I don't think about him either. I've got Bestest. Ramadan. Ever on my TBR pile - can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read Medeia's book. I have it on my Kindle and it's my treat when I'm done with edits. :o)

    Have a lovely week, Medeia and Amy!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this interview, and some good advice there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun interview! Nine months! Including revisions?? Wow...
    I love cats, too. I've been dropping hints to my husband about getting ones for months... I just don't feel like a real writer without one curled up on my lap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great interview. I bought the book last night. It's next on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview! Love Medeia! I just bought her book recently and can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Medeia's blog too, and I can't wait to read her book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fun interview, Amy and Medeia! I liked hearing how the book evolved. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for interviewing me, Amy. And what lovely comments. Thank you, all. :)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...