Thursday, May 17, 2012

California Beginnings & Endings

Despite all the Disneyland craziness, the REAL reason we went down to California was to attend my brother's wedding.

My brother asked the dashingly handsome sidekick to be a groomsman, and his fiance asked our three older girls to be flower girls and our son to be a page boy.

I had never heard of the page boy role before, but apparently page boys carry the bride's train as she comes down the aisle.

Part of the page boy's outfit was a pink bow tie.

Son was not too happy at the prospect of a pink tie. But then we pulled out a picture of the DHS back in 1984 at HIS uncle's wedding, sporting a pink tie AND cummerbund and that made Son feel a lot better. If Dad could pull it off, so could he.

The wedding went off without a hitch and the happy couple are now vacationing on an Alaska cruise.

We danced the night away at the wedding reception Saturday night and were up early on Sunday to catch a flight north.
Dad, Mom, Sister, Aunt, Uncle, Cousins.... (Notice I've kicked off my heels to dance)
It was tough saying goodbye. I saw my sister crying and that set me off. It's especially hard when we say goodbye to my Hong Kong family because we rarely have concrete plans for seeing each other again. The last time my sister saw my three middle kids (before this trip) was over two years ago. My almost-four-year-old was Baby's age. Just one of the disadvantages of having a far-away hometown, I guess.

I wouldn't trade my upbringing in Hong Kong for anything, but man, this part of the equation stinks.

Still, we savor the times we do have together. And it makes them all the more special.

How about you? Do you live close to your family? How often do you get to see them?

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of your family. Love the white/pink.

    My brother & his family live in town. My parents an hour away and my father-in-law 2 hours away. So we have it pretty good, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the family picture Amy!

    My family is all in MO, where we are headed in a few days! *dancing and wringing of hands*
    My husband's family is split between Germany and South Carolina...we are somewhere in the middle - Asia. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all look beautiful!

    Excited for a Maryland reunion w/ family members that are all a scatter.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family! Yes, I know all too well the heartache that comes from having family faraway. We write letters, letters, and more letters, and send pictures. The internet has made it easier to share stuff, but nothing beats a real, honest-to-goodness hug. This is why, my dear, it was so lovely to meet your family in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hear you. One of my sisters and her family live in Australia. We only seem them once every few years. My grown nephew though, I haven't seen him in about 10. I'm grateful for Skype and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those were lovely wedding shots! For most of my adult life, my family all lived close together. Then one by one, they started to move away. Now we're spread to the four corners of the country. I don't get to see my nieces and nephews very often, which saddens me. But family is family and nothing can break that bond. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing looking family!

    I'm very lucky. Everyone of my immediate family members live within a thirty minute drive of me. It's super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, great photos. You all look so happy and spiffy.
    We live far from all family. Haven't seen my hub's family for two years. My own a bit oftener. So I know how it's hard to say good bye when you have no idea when you'll see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful picture of your family, Amy!

    We see my side of the family quite often, but my husband's family is scatterred across the U.S. from Oregon to Washington D.C., and a couple of places in between, so...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Amy .. what a gorgeous looking wedding - and the kids look just great - so pleased pink was in and accepted .. good looking lad.

    When I was in South Africa - I had a cousin down there too, which was fun, and my mother used to come out quite often .. and I came home ..

    You lose some things, but you gain so much in living in different parts of the world ..

    Fantastic photos etc .. thanks for showing us .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live about thirty minutes away from my family now, after six years of living across the country. And I love it. I've gotten so much closer to my brother and sister-in-law, and I love showing up at my parents' house and demanding home-cooked food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures and I love the pink bow tie.

    I'm not too far from my immediate family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the photos - thanks so much for sharing them!

    I'm so blessed to live in the same town with my parents and my eldest sister's family, which isn't our hometown, we all just ended up here. My other two sisters and my brother and my husband's parents and sister are all within driving distance, so we get to see them once or twice a year at least.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such a beautiful family. :) Thank you for sharing the pictures.

    And our family is a good 5 day drive away, so we don't seem them as often as we'd like. Not quite 2 years though. That would be hard. :)

    And yay! I just now noticed the Hacky Sack Wall of Fame! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...