Thursday, April 7, 2016

I'm Back!


...Back in Hong Kong, that is.

Yesterday morning I got to talk about Red Butterfly at International Christian School (ICS), where I attended 10th through 12th grade.



My sister is a middle school science teacher at ICS now, and my mom works in the HR department.

ICS has changed a lot since I went there. The school is housed in a beautiful, huge campus in Sha Tin now. Quite a difference from the tiny facilities we rented near Kai Tak Airport as a fledgling school in the 1990's. But I felt so welcomed by the students and staff.

And it's great to be back in Hong Kong. Four years ago, I brought my oldest daughter, Olivia. Two years ago, I brought my son, Gabe. And this time it's my daughter Anna's turn.

Everything is familiar here. Even though my parents have moved from the flat where I lived in high school, Hong Kong feels the same. The koel birds still call from the trees. The sidewalks are patched and uneven in a uniquely Hong Kong way. The smells are the same--the pungent white flowers in the muggy air. My parents live in Tai Po in the New Territories. The clouds are low on the hills covered in jungle and old-growth forest. Everything is alive. It's such a change from the desert.

Today we have a day off, so we're taking a ferry to the island of Cheung Chau with my parents and sister. I want to show Anna the pirate caves that fascinated me as a child.

It's good to be home.





7 comments:

  1. A homecoming is such a good feeling! And what a treat for you to be able to talk about your book at your own school. Enjoy your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about you lately! So glad you are here...there! Enjoy your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how special it is to be "home" again. Have a memory filled time and fill more memories with Olivia. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI: As an ex-writer of the sassy, savvy, schizophenia we all go through in this lifelong demise, I just wanna help U.S. git past the whorizontal more!ass! we're in (Latin: words to the wise)...

    "This finite existence is only a test, son," God Almighty told me in my coma. "Far beyond thy earthly tempest is where you'll find corpulent eloquence" (paraphrased). Lemme tella youse without d'New Joisey accent...

    I actually saw Seventh-Heaven when we died: you couldn't GET any moe curly, 3stooges, party-hardy-endorphins, extravagantly-surplus-lush Upstairs when my beautifull, brilliant, bombastic girl passed-away due to those wry, sardonic satires.

    "Those who are wise will shine as brightly as the expanse of the Heavens, and those who have instructed many in uprightousness as bright as stars for all eternity" -Daniel 12:3

    Here's also what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible. See you Upstairs. I won't be joining'm in the nasty Abyss where Isis prowls
    eklektikmantra.blogspot.com

    -YOUTHwitheTRUTH
    -------------------------------
    PS Need some uncommon, unique, uncivilized names? Lemme gonna gitcha started, brudda:

    Oak Woods, Franky Sparks, Athena Noble, Autumn Rose, Faith Bishop, Dolly Martin, Willow Rhodes, Cocoa Major, Roman Stone, Bullwark Burnhart, Magnus Wilde, Kardiak Arrest, Will Wright, Goldy Silvers, Penelope Summers, Sophie Sharp, Violet Snow, Lizzy Roach, BoxxaRoxx, Aunty Dotey, Romero Stark, Zacharia Neptoon, Mercurio Morrissey, Fritz & Felix Franz, Victor Payne, Isabella Silverstein, Mercedes Kennedy, Redding Rust, Martini Phoenix, Ivy Wool, Sauer Wolf, Yankee Cooky, b9...

    God blessa youse
    -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not in Hong Kong! I just saw a post of your's on FB....

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...