Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hong Kong Trip: Day 1

I'm in Hong Kong at the moment, visiting my parents and my sister and conducting research for several novels-in-the-works. 

Here are a few pictures from my adventures today: 

The view out my bedroom window. Those are traditional Chinese graves, a detail in one of my books.

Bougainvillaea overflowing. I love how Hong Kong is such a mix of city and gorgeous nature.

Closed up snack shop. I want to remember what this gate looks like, because one of my minor characters owns a shop like this.

One of the main reasons I'm here: researching Cantonese opera!

I forgot what real rain felt like, smells like, tastes like, sounds like. Incredible!

Food is an important part of my novels, because Hong Kong food is amazing. Here's Gabe chowing down on dim sum.

Wall flowers

Bananas growing in my parents' village.

These are papayas, right?

Amazed by the beauty and color of rural Hong Kong.

One of my books takes place in a village. It's good to remember what the village houses look like.

When people think of Hong Kong, they usually think of only a huge city. Do any of these photos surprise you?

Tomorrow I'm planning to visit a history museum to learn more about Chinese opera. So excited!

12 comments:

  1. My jealousy overfloweth. I really hope I get to do at least a tiny bit of sightseeing while I'm working in Hong Kong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to, Katie! If you can make it up to the New Territories or one of the outlying islands at all, it's really a completely different experience than Hong Kong Island and the peninsula. I wish we could have crossed paths here! That would have been fun!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos. I am definitely surprised by all the greenery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vijaya! Yes, the New Territories (where my sister and parents live) is a different feeling from the main part of the city. I love the city part of Hong Kong, but rural Hong Kong is my favorite.

      Delete
  3. I am ready to admit that I didn't know bananas grew there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't that amazing! Of course, you don't see that in the densely populated parts, but it's fun to get off the beaten path. :)

      Delete
  4. It's beautiful! Now I really hope I can visit someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to, too, Faith! And I hope I'm here so I can be your tour guide. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, thanks for sharing! The grave photos were especially intriguing to me. And the flowers- I am so ready to start seeing color around here again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I will write a book in my favorite foreign country so I can necessitate some research for me. Love it! Honestly, I have no vision of Hong Kong set in my head. I'm loving your pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

Summer Recap

Summer!! has been a crazy whirlwind.  Are we actually starting school again in a few weeks? UNBELIEVEABLE. In the middle of June I finished...